Thursday, January 1, 2009

Shawn's Curious Case of Benjamin Button Review

2008 Movie #165 - Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Well this is it, my last official review of the 2008 blog. That's a pretty god damn high number of movies seen too. That's even after missing a lot. I would post a full list of everything I missed but I think it would just depress me. This is the last movie I was really excited to see from this year so it's a great way to go out I would say.

From the very first trailer where there was no dialogue and just music (great trailer by the way), I knew I had to see this movie. You throw in David Fincher as the director and I'm set. I can say the man has never made a bad movie. Sure Panic Room was mediocre and Zodiac way too long, but they were still enjoyable. Plus Seven and Fight Club are two of my favourite movies ever made. So I knew this one was a must see. Once it started showing up near the top of a lot of top 10 lists, the excitement grew even more. I was starting to get worried that I was building up expectation for this movie that would be impossible to meet.

Well it met them. It's not the best movie I've seen this year but its' a really great one. People have been comparing it to Forrest Gump and while I can see where they are coming from, they are very different movies. Like Zodiac this one is also a little long and tends to have a few slower parts in the middle, but it's always engaging and never boring.

We have to start with the acting for sure. Brad Pitt is great as Benjamin and he damn well better be up for best actor for this one. Cate Blanchett is also great and each of them are fantastic representing the different ages their characters go through in this movie. We basically get to see every stage in each characters life and they are phenomenal. I'm not sure if that was actually Cate Blanchett as the old woman in the hospital but if it was, my mind is officially blown the fuck away.

Second of all, the make up in this thing is incredible and I would say a shoe in for the Oscar. It's crazy how they made Brad Pitt look in the beginning stages of this movie. It's overall great and a huge achievement. The whole movie looks terrific though and will definitely be up for a lot of visual awards. Hell I even enjoyed the music, which is something I almost never notice when I am watching a movie.

It's a great, original story that is very well told. It has 2 great performances and looks fantastic with some of the best makeup work I have ever seen in a movie. What else do you need to hear to go and watch this one?

**** 1/2 / 5

No comments: